A passion for helping clients protect their rights, their interest and their future

Murrieta Jurisdiction Attorney

Has Your Child Been Moved Away?

At The Grey Legal Group, APC, one of the many complex matters we handle in divorce cases is jurisdiction custody issues. We are highly knowledgeable in this field of law. Although it is not the only reason, the most common jurisdiction issues that arise in custody cases are when one parent has recently moved to another state with a child.

At our firm, our Murrieta family law attorneys have helped clients throughout Temecula and Riverside & San Diego Counties. We provide you with valuable information and ensure that you are aware of your rights and options at all times. Contact us online today to learn more.

How Are Jurisdiction Cases Handled?

In a divorce where both parents or spouses live in the same state, there will be no question of jurisdiction. However, when one parent moves away there is often a complex process involving children and opinions or statements from each parent. Courts from each state will hear arguments under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act to determine the "home state" of the child. The prevailing court will then have the jurisdiction to make orders.

Jurisdiction issues may also arise when at least one spouse is a member of the armed services or a family has gone through a military divorce.

Jurisdiction may affect matters including:

The basis for the U.S. and State Constitutions provides each branch of government the ability to enact and enforce laws. This remains true in the family court system as California has determined what criteria must be met to make orders on matters. Different states have different criteria for a divorce filing. It may become necessary to determine which state should in fact be granting a divorce and dividing property.

You can count on our firm to represent you effectively in any legal matter relating to jurisdiction - contact our office now at 951.363.2255 for a free consultation.

Contact UsToday!

Fill out the following form or call (951) 363-2255 to get started. Someone from our firm will return your inquiry shortly.

  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.